On behalf of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, six Fraunhofer Institutes are researching how the sustainable transformation of an entire plastics value added chain can take place under principles of the circular economy using the example of plastic. The economic and social effects of a circular plastics economy in the coming decades will also be analyzed and taken into account. These are:
- Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Polymer Research IAP
- Fraunhofer Institute for Chemical Technology ICT
- Fraunhofer Institute for Material Flow and Logitics IML
- Fraunhofer Institute for Structural Durability and System Reliability
- Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety-, and Energy Technology UMSICHT
- Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV
Fraunhofer Cluster of Excellence promote the cooperative development and processing of system-relevant topics through an inter-institute research structure. In organizational terms, these research clusters correspond to a »virtual institute« spread over multiple locations. The aim of the research clusters is not just to temporarily implement single projects but rather to follow a roadmap for the long-term development of a complex technological trend.